Re: The Benefits of Printing In-House

Subject: Re: The Benefits of Printing In-House
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "John David Hickey" <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:08:02 -0700

Don't do it. I recommend against it. Your books are too large and there are
too many of them. Things will go wrong and require LOTS of your or someone's
time to fix. Binding will take time and that is time that cannot be used
elsewhere. Then there is the hand cutting that will get screwed up and the
pages will have to be reprinted so they can get cut correctly... This is all
called production and it is not trivial to do.

To do this, you need a really heavy duty printer dedicated to printing this
stuff only. No sharing or any other use. You should also have a server that
is dedicated to this to reduce network traffic. Sending all these books over
the network can bring it to a standstill which results in time out errors
during the print.

I had a client who needed us to print a paper copy of the manual at the end
of the project. Some of the projects had 5 or 6 books that could be up to
600-1000 pages each. Just printing one hardcopy of each for the escrow files
brought the network down. Even when they got a dedicated server and a super
fast really neat printer, we frequently took all day to get one copy of one
book printed. HUGE pain in the butt. And we didn't trim or bind, just
printed.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!