Re: Thoughs on reproducing what's on screen

Subject: Re: Thoughs on reproducing what's on screen
From: "Jan Stanley" <janron -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:35:44 -0400

Sean isn't anxious to reproduce 35 standard reports in a manual.

Sean, I agree that it seems redundant to include copies of the
same reports that users would see on the screen, but I can see
the development team's point that having printed samples at hand
may prevent unnecessary requests for customization. What about
doing one or both of the following:

* Put the sample report pages in a "standard reports" appendix,
rather than in the body of the text where the report generator is
discussed (with a pointer to the appendix, of course).

* Reproduce less than a full page of each sample report. I
realize that the layout of the reports may preclude this, but if
it doesn't, why not (1) take a screen shot of each report, (2)
crop it to show just the top fourth or third of the page (enough
to show the report title, the headers, and some data), and (3)
set two or three of the cropped images on each actual page of the
manual. If you like, you could treat them as you would figures,
with figure numbers and titles/captions.

Regards,
Jan Stanley
janron -at- concentric -dot- net