RE: pinting lots of linked html docs

Subject: RE: pinting lots of linked html docs
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 08:09:06 -0600

Sandy Harris wrote:
<how to convert a large website to text for printing>

> The free Amaya browser/editor from http://w3c.org (World Wide Web
> Consortium, the standards setters for the web) has a "make book"
> feature that does approximately what you want.
>
> I'm hazy on details; in particular, I don't know if you have to put in
> any special tags, or adopt any special conventions with
> normal tags, to
> make this work well.

Bingo! Why didn't I think of that?

What you'll need to do is create a single TOC file, with each file listed as
an entry. Like this:

<A REL="Chapter" HREF="file.html">Your File Name</A>

Open the TOC file in Amaya, then select Special-->Make Book.

Each referenced file will be pulled into your TOC file.

Use Save as to save your expanded TOC file.

Then, if you still want to convert it to plain text, open your expanded file
in Notetab (available from www.notetab.com), and select Modify-->Strip HTML
Tags.

Amaya and Notetab are both available for free.

Lisa.