E-mail vs. message?

Subject: E-mail vs. message?
From: "Geoff Hart" <Geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:14:50 -0400

Sonja McShane is <<...currently writing about an HTML mail
system and I need to get some consistency into my
terminology. I'm currently using 'email' everywhere, but I'm
sure I should be using 'message' in some places. So, to what
does 'email' refer, and to what does 'message' refer?>>

E-mail is just one form of message; other forms of message
that might be possible to send via computer include voicemail
(e.g., .wav files), telephone calls (via various Internet
telephony applications), printable formatted documents (e.g.,
as PDF or Word file attachments), etc. So if you're
specifically discussing text messages sent via an HTML
system of some sort, and there's a possibility of confusion
with any of the other forms of message, then stick with "e-
mail".

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca (Pointe-Claire, Quebec)
"Perhaps there is something deep and profound behind all those sevens, something just calling out for us to discover it. But I
suspect
that it is only a pernicious, Pythagorean coincidence." George Miller, "The Magical Number Seven" (1956)