Word questions--headers/footers and variables/fields?

Subject: Word questions--headers/footers and variables/fields?
From: "Stewart, Brenda" <BStewart -at- outreachtech -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:01:30 -0400

One more question about templates for Word. I would like to have
the following in my headers and footers:

Heading 1 in the odd page header
Chapter #: Chapter Title in the even page header
Book Name: Version in the footer

In Frame, I had variables set up for Book Name and Version, and then
once I set those variables, they were put in the document wherever I
specfied them to be placed. But, there are not variables in Word. So, for
the Book Name: Version, I was able to use the field code, TITLE (by going to
File, Properties and entering the Book Name and Version in the Title field).

Is there a way to create your own field codes? If so, I would like
to create one for Version and keep it separate from the title.

Now, for the headers, I would like to have the header automatically
update to the current Heading 1 (a style I have created). The only way I
have found to make this work (somewhat) is to use a cross-reference, but I
think I have to update the cross-reference every time there is a new Heading
1. This would be the same problem I would encounter with the Chapter #:
Chapter Title in the header. (Not so bad because there aren't that many
chapters.) But, I can't get my style ChapterTitle to appear as a possible
cross reference, so I made it a bookmark. I'd still prefer to have it
automated, which would eliminate the chance of error.

If I can create my own field codes that would act as variables, I
could add a field code for all of these, but I don't think that is possible.
Any suggestions?

Please email me directly because I receive the digest. TIA!