RE: Technical Writers or Information Developers?

Subject: RE: Technical Writers or Information Developers?
From: Karen Field <kfield -at- STELLCOM -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:34:40 -0700

Greetings...

I've never liked what I consider to be puffed up titles for what we do. The
best description I've seen is "technical communicator." To use seemingly
more obscure titles like "information developer" or "information organizer"
(as I've seen on another list) seems to violate a basic part of our
jobs--taking complex information and making it simple. It's the equivalent
of writing "Utilize the mouse-tracking device to activate the Cancel
function for your printing endeavor," when you could write, "Click Cancel to
stop printing." When people ask me what I do, I usually have to elaborate
after I say "technical writer"; I can imagine the dissertation I'd have to
offer if I said "information developer."

Just my opinion...