removing search engine links to dead pages, how?

Subject: removing search engine links to dead pages, how?
From: "Leslie Johnson" <custcomm -at- cadvision -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 14:23:41 -0600

Jessica N. Lange wrote:

>How do I update these search engines so they
don't display dead pages like this? Or is there
another way this should/could be handled? (like
maybe have a "dead" page that redirects viewer
to a live page)?<

Jessica, it's my understanding that different search engines have different
requirements. Some ask you to manually update (essentially you're
re-registering the pages), and some update the pages automatically - after
awhile. I don't think that any of the search engine updates are fast these
days (except perhaps for some of the least used engines).

You can usually get this information on the search engine's home page - they
typically have a link that leads to a "registering" page where you can get
the info you need.

HTH,
Leslie Johnson
S.I. Writes