RE: FWD: Should I be job hunting?

Subject: RE: FWD: Should I be job hunting?
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: Anonymous Poster <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 99 13:55:05 -0500

An Anonymous Poster is having supervisor problems.
<snip>
--a vague deadline for a phase of one project...so vague in fact that it
really does not exist, though I'm still expected to have the documentation
in on time
--perhaps because the deadline is so vague, the business analysts and
programmers have been passing the buck when it comes to helping me. "Try
him. He knows more." "I'm on vacation in a week. You'd probably want to
talk to X." And so on...
--uncertainty as to where to begin updating a setup guide
--uncertainty as to the status of my other project
<snip>
Your supervisor, inexperienced as he/she is, needs a wakeup call, like
yesterday. It doesn't matter if the new system is sleeker, sexier, or has
more bells and whistles. Unless the supervisor is doing double duty as a
second writer on the new system, there should be plenty of time for guidance
and direction for BOTH writers. Throw flags in the air, write emails, do
whatever you have to do to get your supervisor's attention. Hell, you can
even go so far as to schedule a meeting. But this is something you MUST do.
Presumably, your supervisor knows what the company game plan is and only your
supervisor can communicate that to you.
Should you change jobs? Nope, not yet. You need to get at least a year under
your belt with this company, more if this is your fist tech writing job. If
you can't enlighten your supervisor, try kicking it up a management level, but
only after you've tried your best with the supervisor.
Hope this helps,
jarnopol