RE: OFF TOPIC: Writing "Wizards", creating "Tips", and online tu torials

Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC: Writing "Wizards", creating "Tips", and online tu torials
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:47:14 -0500

At 10:52 AM 9/23/99, Bill Burns wrote:

Lisamarie,

I don't think this is at all off topic. However, what you're describing
isn't a wizard (which is a series of dialogs that complete a task based on
user input and some default parameters). Cheri Lockett Zubak refers to it as
"context embedded help." Here's what else she says about it:

"Of course, these factors, and the relationships
among them, are things that have to be programmed
at some level. In addition, they involve very complex
and time-consuming thinking work. As a result,
context embedding tends to be much more
expensive and time consuming to create than other
types of embedded user assistance. "

I _think_ this might be something called an "expert system". I can point you at one company that has sortware to allow users to create expert systems, because I did some work on their Help files earlier this year: Multilogic. Their Web site is http://www.multilogic.com.

Unfortunately, the product isn't cheap. But it might be what you're looking for.

--
Beth Friedman
bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com