Creating "Tip of the day"

Subject: Creating "Tip of the day"
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- zeroknowledge -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:42:04 -0400

Greetings to all!

I have searched the archives and the web for this information and have come
up mostly dry, so I defer to my more knowledgeable contemporaries.

How do I go about creating "Tip of the day" functionality for an
application? I am currently using winhelp (for 95/98), with plans to migrate
to HTML Help, sometime after version 1 (product is currently in Beta). I
have found the necessary JavaScript code to create a "Tip of the day"
feature for HTML Help, but I have yet to find something easy (and free) for
the winhelp platform.

Is "Tip of the day" functionality delivered via winhelp? How do I go about
including it in my existing online help? When I examined PaintShop Pro's
"TotD" (and associated files), I found the tips.txt file, but no obvious
application to deliver the information. I am also thinking of having
multiple "TotD" files, one that is launched when the users start our
application for the first time, and another for daily hints (that can be
disabled).

Any experienced "Tip of the Day"-ers willing to share their brain power out
there?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Paul "RTFM Guy" Branchaud (mailto:paul -at- zeroknowledge -dot- com)
Lead Technical Writer, Zero-Knowledge http://zeroknowledge.com
PGP Fingerprint: 19D9 5519 BC71 E926 82AA B8C2 0561 B128 9F3E 84E3

Justify my text? I'm sorry but it has no excuse.