Respect (was Motivation For Overtime?)

Subject: Respect (was Motivation For Overtime?)
From: Pierre Roberge <proberge -at- famictech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:06:04 -0400

Steven said:

I find a lot in common between his question and this question of
motivation for unpaid overtime. The answers all seemed to have an
underlying theme, to the point where I begin to think the answers are
all addressing the symptoms, not the cause. The cause is, simply,
respect. All of the items mentioned above are somewhat significant in
and of themselves, but I know of plenty of cases of technically
talented folks who are loyal in spite of various problems with the
work environment and compensation. The root issue is whether the
employer respects the employee.

My
reply:----------------------------------------------------------------------
-

I think that respect regarding people's intelligence is also very important.
We all are intelligent people but some bosses think their employees are dumb
and try to rip them off. When a manager thinks that, employees sense it and
leave.

I am presently working for a company where my president behaves like God.
He thinks he knows everything and you can't warn him about anything or
suggest a new way of working without hearing him dismiss your idea. Even
though, time after time, most of the suggestions would have prevented major
problems.

Respect is important and very broad. Respect me as a person with
creativity, intelligence, desire to try new things, desire to learn, desire
to feel appreciated, etc.

And yes, I am looking for a job

Pierre Roberge