Abbreviations for months

Subject: Abbreviations for months
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- pop -dot- total -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM

Hi all,

I need to find the official 3-letter abbreviations for months. Is it Jan,
Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, and Dec? What about Sept?

Then, since I eventually have to translate the whole thing into French, I
also need to find standard abbreviations in French. Is it going to be
3-letter abbreviations or 4-letter ones? Because of Juin and Juillet (same
first 3 letters), it's impossible to have 3-letter standard abbreviations
"based on the first three letters of the words", but 4-letter ones are
surely possible. Or else other 3-letter ones I'm not thinking of.

I can certainly think of abbreviations, but I would like to know if any
STANDARD ones exist in French.

August (août) would be kinda weird, since the whole word is only four
letters - an abbreviation is usually "shorter" than the original...! Of
course the only English abbreviation of May I have ever seen is "May"...so
perhaps it wouldn't be so weird!

For French abbreviations, there's also the problem of May (mai). If we
choose 4-letter abbreviations, what do we do with "mai"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fabien
Fabien Vais - Documentation Analyst (Analyste en documentation)
Technical Writing, Technical Translation/Globalization, Editing, Publishing,
Teaching, Training
Rédaction technique, Traduction/globalisation technique, Révision, Mise en
Page, Enseignement, Formation

e-mail: phantoms -at- total -dot- net
Mailing address (Adresse postale): 38 Elderidge, D.D.O. (Montreal), Quebec,
H9A 2P4
Phone/Fax: (514) 685-4752