Re: Technical Writing Courses

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Courses
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:01:52 -0400

I may not have communicated my thought properly. Never said there
should be a lack of knowledge.
IMNVHO you can have all the knowledge in the world, but it will not
help anyone else if you cannot effectively communicate that knowledge.
A solid liberal arts background will train folks in how to think and
communicate their thoughts. Then the technical training should take
place. That training need not be formal. It can be self paced,
informal or formal classes, or on the job. Think of tech writing as
both an art and a craft. The craft being the understanding of the
medium, i.e.. Framemaker, Robohelp, etc. The decision of which tool to
apply and how to apply it is an art. Understanding a need and the
difference between a perceived and actual need is an art. Convincing a
client or manager that a perceived need may not be the actual need is
a definite art. (as is knowing when not to do it. <g>).

Peter

Reply to pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com