Motivation For Overtime?

Subject: Motivation For Overtime?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:54:47 PDT

Question for all salaried Technical Writers:

How are you motivated to work overtime?

I seek responses for career planning purposes. All responses appreciated.

My observations prompting the above question:

In many of the software development organizations that I have been exposed to (especially smaller companies), salaried staff puts in much more than 40 hours per week.

The way I see it, there are but two things that motivate individuals at work a lot of (free) overtime:

1.) Love of God, country, and company.

2.) Fear. Either fear resulting from 'threats' from the boss or fear that if Tom is working X hours a day and Mary is working X hours a day, I had better put in X hours a day, or else I will 'look' bad.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)