On the subject of communication

Subject: On the subject of communication
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:51 -0500

While we're on that subject, may I recommend an interview with Jeffrey Zeldman
currently running in Digital Web magazine:

http://www.digital-web.com/interviews

Some excerpts:

"Myst is one world with a finite number of developers and designers. It's
controlled.
But the web is doubling in size while we have this conversation, and only God
can
see all of it at once."

"Most of the teachers "accrediting" people in that Web
School of the future will be unaccredited and self-taught. Oh the
delicious irony of it all."

"The answer is, every successful site strikes a balance between
challenging the viewer and extending the medium (on the one
hand), and communicating effectively (on the other). Where each
site falls between those two poles will be driven by the content and
the intended audience.

"It's really pretty simple. Anthony Burgess made up the language of
Clockwork Orange to tell that particular story. But he wouldn't have
used that kind of language to tell the housekeeper where he kept
the cat food, and he wouldn't have used it in an article about chess."

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224