Changing Career Focus

Subject: Changing Career Focus
From: "Brathwaite, Chantel" <cbrathwaite -at- python -dot- ideas -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:22:07 -0400

Hi All,

I've been investigating what is involved with changing my writing
focus. Currently, I am writing primarily for the information technology
field -- this includes creating software requirements specifications, user
guides, software design documentation and the like. I also have a bit of a
background in creating PR-type pieces -- nothing fancy, but enough to do
some elementary graphic design and to put together brochures, flyers,
newsletters, and web sites. I am becoming interested however in two
different subject areas: the biological sciences (particularly genetics)
and political analysis. If I decide to pursue these avenues, I realize that
I will need to return to school to become more knowledgeable in those areas.

My question to you is: has anyone changed their area of
concentration from one subject area to another? Can you tell me a little
about your experiences, particularly how you "landed" your first assignment?
What skills were transferable? I'd appreciate any information that you can
give me -- it doesn't have to be a book (although longer replies are most
certainly welcome) -- I'm just starting to investigate the possibilities and
would love your feedback.

Thanks!

Chantel Brathwaite
Chantel -dot- N -dot- Brathwaite -at- saic -dot- com