Re: FWD: An inquiry for academics

Subject: Re: FWD: An inquiry for academics
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chrisk -at- globalserve -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 22:20:21 -0400

Things might not be so bad, academically speaking. Here in Canada,
anyway, the demographics are such that professors are retiring by the
thousand, and therefore opportunities are opening up. However, many
universities do tend to withhold tenure for longer periods of time, and
competition for tenure-track positions is still pretty stiff. As for
returning to school after getting some professional experience, many Phd
programs prefer that sort of candidate these days; I think they tend to
see students with some work experience as being more well-rounded, and
probably more focussed on their goals once they choose an academic
track. Also, professional- and technically-oriented writing courses are
becoming more popular all the time. You might be able to land some kind
of college teaching position with the skills and background you have
already. This is the sense I get from the many friends and contacts I
have in the academic world, anyway.

Chris Kowalchuk