Re: PDF versus HTML - Not hostile

Subject: Re: PDF versus HTML - Not hostile
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- home -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 22:48:06 -0700

At 10:02 AM -0700 7/11/99, Ed Gregory wrote:
>At 07:44 PM 9/10/99 -0700, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote that using PDF is
>hostile to the consumer because it lets the publisher/distributor avoid
>paper costs and is "just dumping those costs onto the customer."
>
>Is online help hot because everybody wants to save money on paper, or is it
>hot because that's what most users want? (Or, for you skeptics, "are
>willing to accept?)

Sure, but when you're talking about PDF, you're not talking about online
help; you're talking about distributing a ready-to-print manual as a
computer file. It still must be printed by someone - user or manufacturer -
to be optimally useful.

(It's possible to read a PDF online, of course, but it's not much fun,
especially if the document is long or contains conceptual information that
requires concentration and careful reading. I've tried - and I'm one of
those people who finds it almost as easy to read a document that's on
screen as one that's on paper.)

This isn't an online-help versus printed-manual debate, in other words, at
least not as far as my comments are concerned.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com