RE: Tape Recording End Users & SMEs

Subject: RE: Tape Recording End Users & SMEs
From: "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L digest" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:07:17 -0400

At 2:14 PM -0700 9/11/99, Anthony Markatos wrote:
>Questions for all listserv members:
>
>1.) Do you tape record your interviews with end users and/or SMEs? If so,
>why? If not, why?

I usually tape record SMEs, especially for complex matters. When
creating the documentation, I first work with the software screens
and my notes. Then I go through the tape to make sure that I did
not miss anything.

I would not bother with voice dictation software on this, as the
wording the SMEs use to explain the software is not necessarily
the wording for the written documentation. Also, the tape is full of
my asking the SME for clarification on various points.

I have never had any SMEs object to being taped.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280