Re: techwr-l digest: September 11, 1999

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: September 11, 1999
From: MPFCMom -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com (TECHWR-L)
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:32:50 EDT

In a message dated 09/12/1999 2:13:07 AM Central Daylight Time, Tony Markatos
writes:
> 1.) Do you tape record your interviews with end users and/or SMEs? If so,
> why? If not, why?
>
> 2.) Is tape recording frequently utilized?

I frequently tape record interviews with SMEs when I know the subject matter
will be complex. I always ask the SME's permission to do so first, and have
never been denied.

I find this EXTREMELY helpful. When I am trying to digest a lot of technical
information at once, I always miss something. I can listen to the tape
without having to go back and bug the SME for something he/she already told
me. I think they appreciate that.

I still take notes, and I work off my notes first, but I've really found tape
recording invaluable for me.

Debbie Hegg
Sr. Technical Writer
Computer Associates (formerly PLATINUM technology)
mpfcmom -at- aol -dot- com