RE: techwr-l digest: September 07, 1999

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: September 07, 1999
From: "Osborne, Mark" <Mark_Osborne -at- NAI -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:14:25 -0700

I am responding to the posting from the person interested in cross-platform
authoring tools. My documentation department uses "straight" HTML with an
HTML editing tool known as "Dreamweaver." I call it "'straight' HTML"
because it is not HTMLHelp or HTML files generated by any other proprietary
product. Our programmers have written a simple program that displays the
HTML files on UNIX and Windows sytems. This way, we don't have to rely on
our customers having an internet browser of their own. We are going to be
looking at JavaHelp as an alternative in future releases, but I haven't
researched JavaHelp much yet.

Subject: Platform-independed authoring tool
From: MDowling -at- WALLDATA -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 02:16:18 -0700

Does anyone know of an authoring tool that allows you to create technical
documents that can be deployed over windows-based and unix-based systems?
The documents in question are user manuals. I also need to create helpfiles
that can be deployed over both operating systems...