Java class poll

Subject: Java class poll
From: chrisfitztex -at- YAHOO -dot- COM
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 19:50:53

Hi everyone! Last week, I posted a question to the list regarding whether
or not Java was needed as a skill set in Tech. writing. Thank you to
everyone who responded. I've been cataloging the responses and the results
follow:
Out of the 14 responses,
10 said that it couldn't hurt, or that it depends upon whether or not I
want to work with Java applications...
2 were against, just because of suggesting other more needed
skills...java-script being one.
2 were for with the argument that it is better to understand the technical
side of TW.
I've quoted some of the responses here:
William Swallow wrote?It depends. Do you document Java
applications? Do you plan to? Taking the class may be very
useful if you are documenting Java applications, but might not
be worth your while if you document farm machinery or medical
equipment.

Michael Schiesl wrote?For usability sake, I would recommend
java-script over Java (but it somewhat depends on your
situation...[and]...It sounds like you are on the programming
track, so I would recommend taking a Java class (and at least
try out java-script as you go along).

Tim Altom wrote?I've learned some Java and VB just because of my
job, but then I'm a full-time communicator and technical
manager. I think tech commers should learn as much technology as
they can. ?[and]? I find too many tech commers want to write
about the interface, but not understand what puts it there. I
think it makes them unbalanced, and one of the hallmarks of our
job is to achieve good balance for the end user's sake.
Java is, in my view, good for learning the basics of object
programming, but it still hasn't hit my radar screen as a
popular development language.

Nicole Metcalf wrote?I just returned from the Help Technology
Conference in Boston. It was a very informative and eye-opening
conference. Java was rarely mentioned in regards to help
technology. Instead, it looks like the future of help and
web-based training will include: java-script DHTML XML If it were
me, I'd take one of those courses instead of the Java...

Julie Boskey wrote?I think Visual Basic and Java would be
interesting to know, but for my job, I don't need them. I just
wanted to assure you that you could find a job even if you don't
know Java.

Joy Brady wrote?If you are thinking about using these languages
for web page development, I would recommend java-script instead.
It is not the same thing, but it IS the scripting language used,
along with Vbscript, most often for web pages. ?[and]?O'Reilly
publishes a wonderful java-script reference guide, and
www.javagoodies.com would be a nice
start for learning java-script. This will save you a lot of $$
also

Cheryl Magadieu wrote?In March, I began my current job, working
for a software company that makes Java-based software. I think a
Java class is definitely worth taking. Knowing more about
Java would definitely help me decipher what the engineers are
telling me, and it would help me make logical connections when
sorting out how to write the documentation.

Marie McPartland wrote?Java seems to be a good thing to have on
one's resume these days. (As a matter of fact, I was considering
signing up for a class myself.)

David Castro wrote?Java skills are more and less important
depending on where in the country you are. I see much more
demand for them in California's Silicon Valley than elsewhere,
like Seattle and RTP. There, C++ and VB still rule.

I've decided to drop the class,(using my time more wisely on volunteer
writing projects) The professor's type of teaching was to "read the book",
so I am. The book is good if anyone is interested: Teach yourself Java 2.0
in 21 Days.(Lemay, Cadenhead, Sams Publishing) So, I'm off to learn Java in
21 sittings, hopefully! Else, I'll be back in class next semester with a
different prof.
>>>Also, if you've read this far, you must be interested in Java/TW
research. I'm also cataloging job descriptions to get a technical writing
program started at a local college. Out of 30 job descriptions cataloged,
only 2% mentioned Java as a skill set requirement and mostly mentioned it
as a plus to know, but not required. Most skills noted were FrameMaker,
PageMaker, Word, and RoboHelp and of course, experience in documentation,
et.al.
>>>Have a great week everyone, and thanks again so much for helping me to
decide.

Chris Fitzgerald
chrisfitztex -at- yahoo -dot- com