RE: Long distance job hunting

Subject: RE: Long distance job hunting
From: Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:20:36 +0200

Yours is a great question. My experience from about 5 years ago is
probably no longer valid in certain respects, but nonetheless maybe I
can be of service.

I lived in Italy for 4 years between 1989 and 1993. Returning to
Seattle, I had found the general culture and job atmosphere radically
changed. I, too, had changed a lot in my years of absence from the USA.
Culture is not a constant, it is a variable that changes with time just
as the millions of people who take part in it do.

Try to answer these questions before you go back to the USA. It may help

you get your feet on the ground. How long have you been gone? How much
have you changed? Why are you going back? How much has the USA changed?
Are your skills up-to-date with the latest market trends? Are you
skilled in particularly hot fields? Are you ready for culture shock?

Here's some concrete advice; I think you would be wise to start sending
out feelers to companies you'd like to work for. You would also be well
advised to get your resume to some tech writing agencies. They will know

better than you what the market is. Most likely they can get you working

for decent wages quicker than you can on your own. Then you can look for

the job you "really" want.

Good luck,

Brian