Breaking in to tech writing / content development

Subject: Breaking in to tech writing / content development
From: TS <tenglish -at- banet -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:53:01 -0700

Hello everyone! I am new to the list and am currently considering
changing my career focus. I have an instructional design background and
have spent a large amount of my time as a CBT developer. I am currently a
project manager but am considering changing my focus to technical writing /
content development. I am just starting to look into this and have begun
doing some research. I came across this list and am hoping that some of you
might be able to help me by answering the following questions.

1. What skills do I need to become a tech writer / content developer?
2. Can you recommend any courses or reference manuals?

Any advice, thoughts, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
TS