Subject: That raise and promotion

Subject: Subject: That raise and promotion
From: LMOR - Larry Morrow <LMOR -at- sbt -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:11:05 -0700

Hi Johnny.

As a manager I find it easier to argue for funds, for a staff raise and
promotion, if I can show how the writer has added value to the company. In
some cases this can be reflected with improved documentation (both printed
and electronic) that helped to reduce tech support calls. In other cases it
helps if the new documentation is viewed by many as adding value to the
product.

Then write a list of how your efforts have added value to the company. You
may also want to include a list of goals set and accomplished during your
11 month tenure. The two lists will show that you are goal oriented and that
you are an employee the company does not want to lose.

By the way, as the only tech writer you also have a part time role as the
technical publications' cheer leader! You need to do all you can to raise
the visibility of your one person department. When you complete an
impressive project, put on a show and tell, and make sure an officer of the
company is in the audience.

Good luck.

Larry Morrow
SBT Technical Publications Manager
lmor -at- sbt -dot- com <mailto:lmor -at- sbt -dot- com>