Repeating a figure (was "Forward" referencing)

Subject: Repeating a figure (was "Forward" referencing)
From: "Halter, Meg" <HalterMC -at- navair -dot- navy -dot- mil>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 07:22:10 -0700

If one decides to include a figure more than once to save the reader from
the misery of flipping hundreds of pages, how should one handle the naming?
Seems like there should be something in the captions that tells the reader
that they really are the same figure, such as

Figure 1-10. Widget Disassembly
Figure 45-657. Widget Disassembly (Repeat of Figure 1-10)
Figure 402-12. Widget Disassembly (Repeat of Figure 1-10)

Thoughts?

-- Meg