questions for readers sought

Subject: questions for readers sought
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:55:27 -0400

Hallo:

I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, or axle for that matter.

I author user manuals, mainly, for a software product. I chunk and
distribute these in three ways: printed, three-ring bound; online help; PDF.

I want to create a short list of questions to solicit feedback from readers
on these user manuals and output formats. I am looking for direction from
those forced to read my books on how I can better meet their needs. In
addition to content issues, I am looking for information about overall
strategy for delivery. Should I ask open ended questions? I plan on
distributing a questionnaire but, if it's successful, could make a PDF form
out of it, for electronic distribution.

For example, I certainly plan to ask about three-ring binders. I'd like to
know whether customers receive page updates for insertion into their
existing books and whether these pages really do make it in.

I'd like some input on what I should ask my readers. Feel free to e-mail me
directly on this issue.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com