Re: Is Java a good class to take for technical wr

Subject: Re: Is Java a good class to take for technical wr
From: jboskey -at- wheels -dot- com
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:48:03 -0500

Chris - The answer to this is: It Depends. :)

I am sure there are tech writers who greatly benefit from knowing
Visual Basic and Java. Personally, I document programs created with
Visual Basic, don't know a thing about it, and haven't had problems
because I don't know it. I write the documentation for end-users of
the systems, so I meet with the programmers who explain the system,
then I work with the system on my computer, and then I start writing
about it. The best analogy I can give (don't know where I heard it -
probably this list years ago) is: You don't have to know how a car's
engine works to be able to write directions for driving it. But for
some documentation, knowing what's under the hood probably helps.

I think Visual Basic and Java would be interesting to know, but for my
job, I don't need them. I don't know if this will help you in your
decision to drop the class, but I just wanted to assure you that you
could find a job even if you don't know Java. :)

Julie

Subject: [techwr-l] Is Java a good class to take for technical writin
Author: Chris Fitzgerald <chrisfitztex -at- yahoo -dot- com> at i-mail
Date: 8/30/1999 12:01 PM

Hi! I have a question to the list; I'm taking a Java
class as well as a Visual Basic programming class. They are
both
fascinating, but my Java professor is quite the expert but not a
very good instructor (to put it mildly).
There are a million and one classes to take, so I wanted to
check since I'm having second thoughts about this class. Also,
I am starting my academic teaching year,next week, and am going
to write a newsletter directed at teachers. It will
consist of professional development facts and upcoming events.
So dropping the class may afford me more time to volunteer,
anyway. Just wanted to check with the list, because you are the
ones who will know if Java is a good skill to know in your job.
Any advice would be appreciated. Have a great week everyone!

Chris Fitzgerald
<chrisfitztex -at- yahoo -dot- com
<http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bit/4927/chris.htm

===
5805 Oak Bend Lane #409
Agoura, CA 91301
(818)991-2668
<chrisfitztex -at- yahoo -dot- com>
As a leading service provider to technical writers, we are proud to sponsor

Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: jboskey -at- WHEELS -dot- COM