Re: Engineer to Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Engineer to Tech Writer
From: "Wesley T. Reisz" <wtreisz -at- RAQUE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:51:35 -0400

Megan,
If you're an engineer, then you know that engineers (as a general rule) hate
writing. So, you're in a great position! I work for an engineering company
writing technical manuals, and it is always a challenge to translate PLC's,
ladder logic, MMI's, and the flow of electrons into usable documentation. I
think you'll find that most engineering companies (at least the small ones)
are afraid that a writer won't have enough to do. Nothing could be further
from the truth; however, that being said, you can always fall back on your
engineering experience in the interview. An interviewer at a small company
will be impressed that you can perform multiple functions. I think you'll
have excellent oportunties with a few good writing examples and an
engineering degree.
Best of luck,
Wesley Reisz
Technical Publishing Manager