Re: Use v. utilize (was Re: Simple Verbiage Question)

Subject: Re: Use v. utilize (was Re: Simple Verbiage Question)
From: LDurway -at- PAV -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:04:49 -0500

I have no problem with excellent writing in technical manuals. I sometimes
knowingly write beyond the sensitivity of my audience simply because I feel
like it. I think the problem arises when you use some subtle linguistic
distinction to carry important technical data that is not also present in a
more accessible form. The best example I can come up with immediately is
this:

The words "consequently" and "subsequently" might pass for synonyms among
the uninitiated, but we know better. So would you use "subsequently" in a
context where the uninitiated reader, thinking you mean "consequently,"
could make a serious mistake? No--you're a nice writer & know better than
to lead your reader into such folly. You could supply redundant text
clarifying the "subsequent" idea, but then you negate the whole thing.
Consider a slightly different situation: you use the word "subsequent"
appropriately but in a context where confusion with "consequent" won't cause
any problems. This situation is better because you don't have to introduce
clarifying redundancies; nevertheless, the distinction between "sub~" and
"con~" becomes irrelevant, leaving you with the artless employment of an
oddball word that you didn't really need in the first place.

I read somewhere that Twain said that if you find you've written a
particularly brilliant sentence, you should strike it immediately;
otherwise, you end up writing all your other sentences to accommodate it,
and it ruins the whole piece.

I've occasionally allowed clever writing to remain--tidbits kind of like the
Easter eggs that programmers sometimes hide in their code.

Gee, did I really cover tunable kernel parameters completely in iambic
pentameter?

Lindsey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=