Re: Department Documentation

Subject: Re: Department Documentation
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:15:54 -0700

Hi, Kevin.

There are thousands of documents you've forgotten :-)

However, my answer is that the tech writing department
creates whatever technical documentation is needed and
does not create whatever technical documentation isn't
needed.

There are no "standard" types of documentation for
Technical Documentation departments since rarely is
the documentation written FOR the Tech Doc department.
Instead, the department is a service center for the
documents needed by the company, its customers,
vendors, and users.

To ask what types of technical documents are standard
is to ask what types of technical documents are
standard for a company as a whole.

> Just out of curiosity, what types of documents are
> standard for Technical
> Publication Departments? I couldn't find anything on
> the Web Site or the
> archives, which is something that might be useful,
> especially for new
> managers. Anyway, I assume typical Technical
> Publication Departments
> documents include: style guide, templates, document
> creation procedures,
> document review procedures, and document approval
> procedures. Anything I am
> forgetting?
>
> Kevin Feeman
> Technical Writer
> MicroMass Communications Inc.
> www.micromass.com <http://www.micromass.com/>
> (919) 851-3182 Ext. 3105
> kevin -dot- feeman -at- micromass -dot- com

===
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com
732-594-0873