Re: Scratch

Subject: Re: Scratch
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:59:20 -0700

Maybe it's me, I know I always look at things sideways; but are you
*sure* that you need three separate sections here??? After all, these
are application-centric headings, not user-centric tasks. All the user
wants to do is query the darn database. Perhaps you should explain it
to the user the way you explained it to us...

------------------------
Querying the Database
(Although to be really user-centric, you'd probably want to title
the section "Finding Answers" or some such thing.)

When you want to find answers to your questions, like "how many
employees live in Dallas?" or "how many managers are over 40?",
you query the database.

There are four ways to query the database:

* Use one of the system-supplied queries as-is
* Modify a system-supplied query and save it to use again later
* Modify a system-supplied query and discard your changes when you're done
* Create a new (or create your own) query

To use one of the system-supplied queries:
1.
2.
3.

To modify a system supplied...
1.
2.
3.
Well, you get the idea.

Just a thought.
-Sue
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com

At 12:36 PM 8/24/99 -0700, Shawn Wilson wrote:
>Okay, I should have explained. To all those people who responded off-list
>within five minutes of posting: Thanks, and I'm sorry I was unclear.
>Actually I need THREE phrases, not two.
>
>The way I've explained, there are three things you can do: Create a New
>Query From Scratch, Create a New Query by Modifying an Existing One, and
>Modify an Existing Query.
>
>See, a predefined query can be temporarily "modified" and used, without
>saving the changes. That, in fact, is the way the software will be used
the
>most.
>
>If I can use MS-Word as an analogy, my three choices are:
>- Creating a document from a blank "New" document
>- Creating a document by changing an existing one and using "Save As"
>- Opening an existing document, making some changes, printing it out,
>and closing it without saving the changes. (This is the most important
>one).
>
>(And by the way, I was looking for phrases I could use in the text as well
>as in a header.)
>
>Thanks again!
>

>Shawn Wilson
>Technical Writer