Re: volunteering

Subject: Re: volunteering
From: Janet_Swisher -at- TRILOGY -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:56:00 -0500

Chris Fitzgerald wrote:

> I am considering volunteering
>somewhere to do some sort of technical writing. (I'm willing to work my
>little fingers to the bone to learn, but am slower than others that are
>more experienced) Are there any suggestions? It can't be a full time
>position because my academic year (I'm an English teacher) begins on
>September 1. I've written a lot of little pieces - newsletters, reports
in
>various styles, but need the technical tools to index, or write help
files.

A volunteer opportunity you can work on in your spare time, regardless of
where you are located, is the Linux Documentation Project. As indicated by
the name, they produce documentation for the Linux operating system.
However, they don't do much in the way of online help. The general
categories are guides, HOWTO's (short procedural documents), man pages and
FAQ's. The tools to produce them are freely available, but you would need
a computer on which to install and run Linux (which can be a hobby in
itself). But it's a great opportunity to add some really technical tech
writing to your portfolio.

The home page of the Linux Documentation Project is
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/. Follow the link for the Manifesto for info on
getting involved.

Cheers,
Janet