Re: Marketing blocks and fish

Subject: Re: Marketing blocks and fish
From: PHILA -at- MAIL -dot- VIPS -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:30:37 -0400

Photographer Richard Kirstel, when he was teaching at the Maryland Institute
of Art, used to say: "If you photograph a living room decorated in the
latest style, you'll have a pretty picture...and nobody will look twice at
it. Now if you put a 15-foot mackerel on the coffee table...then you'll have
a photograph worth looking at."

The amount of attention an image garners doesn't depend on its flashiness;
it all depends, as you might say, on the fish, the psychological hook. A
Mary Cassatt painting in a birthing center might not fix my attention; a
photograph of Judy Chicago's "The Dinner Party" probably would. By the same
token, a screaming neon poster would probably turn me off, but Peter
Newman's upside-down poster...now that's a fish all by itself.

Phila

Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com
VIPS Healthcare Information Solutions