Re: Newbie Contractor needs advice

Subject: Re: Newbie Contractor needs advice
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:42:23 -0400

When I started my current contract, I worked maybe 4
days out of the first 6 -- because there was no work
to do. Since I work from home, that was great! And
yes, I billed for 8 hours a day because I was
expected to *be available* to work for them for that
amount of time -- and I was! Being available
prevented me from working for someone else during
that time period.

I guess it's all in how you get the contract
written.

I remember an on-site contract many years ago when I
let them know that I had 12 hours of downtime that
week because I didn't have a system. (The managers
couldn't agree whose budget to take the system
from!( When I pointed that out to them, they
remedied the situation fairly quickly!

Nancy

Communication issues

remember that email I
> sent about a client who wanted a 100-page manual
in 8 days. Well, as
> anticipated, the whole thing is a mess. The plan
was that the
> SME would
> submit the content, and I would import the text
and graphics into the
> template (basically a layout job). I expected to
work 40-50
> hours a week
> to get this accomplished. (Unfortunately, I was
not able to
> negotiate a
> fixed-rate.)
>
> I arranged time in my schedule to accommodate this
client, and the SME
> has not been keeping up their end of the bargain.
The result
> is that the
> manual has been reduced to around 50 pages and I
have not put in the
> hours expected. I wait and wait for the SME to
submit the information
> needed, and I call and leave messages and email
with the SME and the
> Project Manager to no avail. In fact, I spent an
entire day and a half
> trying to get someone to answer my phone calls and
even physically
> visited the office with no results. (Do I bill for
that time?)

> Because it's an hourly assignment, I've lost
significant $ in the
> process. How do you, as contractors, protect
yourself against this? Is
> it possible to require a client to agree to, say,
a minimum
> of 40 hours
> a week for two weeks? How do you handle such
situations?

> If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Review the TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=