Re: grammar term

Subject: Re: grammar term
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- ALLDATA -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:32:44 -0400

Mark's reply is one of the best I've seen, even better than my earlier one.
<g>

His reply also reminded me of a lesson I learned some time back. The
simplest way to improve the readability of most writing and remove
ambiguities or other impediments to understanding was to LOSE THE PRONOUNS,
especially the third person pronouns.

I know this concept goes against the grain of conventional grammatical
wisdom as taught in many schools, but you can't have ambiguously referenced
pronouns in you substitute the appropriate noun in its place. (The same
goes for abbreviations and acronyms.)

Of course, real life is full of trade-offs, but reducing pronoun, acronym,
and abbreviation use seems to do wonders for improving readability and
understanding in all writing.

Yes, I also prefer to address the reader with second person pronouns,
another "rule" of grammar that breaking seems to work for.

Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer, Alliance Data Systems, Inc.
CAD4A - (614)729-4364
Fax: (614)729-4499