Re: Documentation Usability

Subject: Re: Documentation Usability
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 06:28:42 -0400

Melroy and Althea D'Souza wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to determine the best way to present information in a user's
> manual on three different form factors of a product sold to business users
> (not home users).

[snipped]

Hi, Melroy.

I'm a consumer of products sold to business users, and I've had the
opportunity to work in different environments with different brands of
competing products. So allow me to share my observations, which may not
exactly apply in your situation, but I can't tell from your query.

My current and former employer both bought everyone fancy, expensive
ergonomic chairs. Lots of levers and knobs. No way to know which control
does what, or what the most beneficial settings are, without
documentation.

Chair number 1 came with a "manual" that consisted of a long piece of
paper folded up into a booklet shape, drilled in one corner, and hung
from one of the control levers with a security tie (one of those plastic
thingies you have to cut in order to remove it).

Chair number two has all of the critical information on a single card
that slides out of a pocket under the seat but remains attached at the
top edge of the card, so it cannot be removed altogether.

Chair number one, a pricey company asset, was moved to another building
when the project I was working on wrapped up. The desk with the "manual"
for the chair in its drawer was returned to the landlord, as it was part
of the lease package.

Both employers also installed modern multi-function phone systems.

System number 1 came with a whole bunch of literature--if your
supervisor felt you could spare the time to attend the training session.
Otherwise, maybe you could make a photocopy of someone else's. Then
there was the problem of where did you file it.

System number 2 has an attached card that slides out from the bottom of
the phone.

In both cases, I think the manufacturer of the number 2 product got it
right in several respects. They certainly reduced the frequency of calls
for assistance, either to the manufacturer or within the customer's
company. They also increased the useful life of their products, a
benefit they could market.

I'm sure it took an extra effort to design such compact and integrated
documentation. And I'm sure there was resistance from the engineering
department to the idea of incorporating the necessary gizmo into the
product itself. But in the end I think it paid off for both companies.

I hope this addresses the question you posed.

Dick

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=