To Frame or not to Frame

Subject: To Frame or not to Frame
From: Sharon Key <sharon -at- DRA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:31:10 -0500

I'm sorry to ask a question that I'm sure some of you will consider
off-topic, but here goes.

Our doc group is making a decision this week on whether to use frames when
we go online with our documentation. I know a couple of years ago when I
took a course in web page design, we were told to stay away from frames
because users can't bookmark pages and that printing is difficult for some
users.

I'd like to know if this thinking has changed, if I should still avoid
designs using frames, pros and cons about using frames, etc.

I would also like to know if there are any URLs that have good examples of
documentation design.

Please reply to me directly and I will summarize for the list if there is
interest.

Sharon Key
Senior Technical Writer
Data Research Associates