Versatility - how much is a good thing?

Subject: Versatility - how much is a good thing?
From: houndz <houndz -at- PYRO -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:29:08 -0700

Hello all,

As I face yet another radically different writing assignment from my
company, I'm wondering how many different types of writing tasks other
companies expect from their writers. I am expected to produce, on very
short notice, HR policies, user manuals, training documentation, network
diagrams of all shapes and sizes, system documentation, business process
flowcharts, internal IT reference materials, project plans & scope
documents, Y2k testing methodology, architecture documents, and audit
outside departments, and general department "duct tape" for whatever
needs fixing. I'm usually expected to make recommendations and
contribute content to the material that I research and document, as
well.

I know tech writers often wear a number of different hats, but is this
usual? I enjoyed having lots of varied work, but I'm not always
satisfied with the results. It's not that I couldn't handle any one
aspect given at least minimal prep time, but like most assignments in
the waning days of the twentieth centry, they're already weeks overdue
by the time I receive them. Will "jack of all trades, master of none"
experience be a help or a hindrance at future positions? Am I correct in
thinking most writers are more specialized? The company is extremely
unstable, it's definitely time for me to investigate future
possibilities.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=