Re: "In" the field or "On" the field

Subject: Re: "In" the field or "On" the field
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- HOME -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:38:13 -0500

At 09:10 PM 8/13/99 -0700, Brad wrote:

>> Inquiring minds want to know which of these phrases represent the correct
>> standard:
>>
>> In the XYZ field, type correct data.
>>
>> or
>>
>> On the XYZ field, type correct data.
>>

>I would opt for "In the XYZ field, type..."
>
>I particularly like the syntax that you use in maintaining the linear
>sequence of the task. That is, you *orient* the reader *first* with an
>introductory prepositional phrase and then tell them what to do (type
>correct data). One thing I find annoying is when the writer *reverses*
>sequence and orientation, such as: "Type correct data in the XYZ field on
>the Blahidy tab." Your syntax is true to the process and flow.
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Brad,

The socially accepted standard method for replying to email is to put your
response at the top, followed by a snippet or summary of the original.

This is because anybody following the thread has already seen the original.
Burying your reply at the bottom, like this, forces many people to reread
material they''ve already read or hit the DELETE key.

This is especially true if the gist of the message to which you are
replying is contained in the subject field.

Regards,

Ed Gregory
http://www.members.home.net/edgregory/search1.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=