Re: "In" the field or "On" the field

Subject: Re: "In" the field or "On" the field
From: Kathleen Frost <frostdoc -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:11:41 -0400

Ruth asked:
Inquiring minds want to know which of these phrases represent the correct
standard:

In the XYZ field, type correct data.

or

On the XYZ field, type correct data.

------
FYI,

Standard wording at most of the places I've worked, including my present
position, is:

"Enter the correct data in the XYZ field."

"Select the ABC option from the menu (or list)."

We use "Press" for a key on the keyboard, "Click" for buttons on the screen.

"Press the F10 key."

"Click OK to continue." (but not "Click on OK...")

Kathleen Frost
Magnet Communications
Atlanta, GA
Home: FrostDoc -at- Earthlink -dot- net