SUMMARY: Good Linux listserv? (long)

Subject: SUMMARY: Good Linux listserv? (long)
From: Melissa Kucbel-Saumier <melissaks -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:52:48 -0400

Hello t-writers,

I have received some interesting information following my request
for a good Linux listserv. I also received some tips on how to
get started if you want to learn Linux. Here is a summary of the
message to his friend Michael), Chris and Martin.

---------------
Getting started
---------------
One response I got was mentioning that you should not expect to
learn a new technology by becoming a member of a list. The more
I think about it, the more this makes sense. For techies who
know Linux very well and like to exchange on specific problems,
a question such as "I'm new to Linux, where do you start" could
spark some flames.

So, how do you get started? By reading a book and getting a copy
of Linux to experiment with. O'Reilly's books were recommended,
and it seems that Alpha Processor Inc. is giving away a private label
edition of "Linux for Dummies". See:
http://www.alpha-processor.com/news/linuxform.asp.

As for whether to get Linux for free on the Web or to buy a
commercial version of the OS (I had heard of Red Hat, however it
seems that a version by Caldera is easier to install), I now
believe it is better to buy. Commercial versions of Linux come
with technical support, and I would guess, some documentation.

I also asked whether to install Linux on my Pentium II (where I
have Windows98) or to find an old PC to test with. The second PC
seems to be the safest alternative, but it is possible to have
both OS one machine (obviously not running at the same time).
Experience with partitioning could be useful.

-------------------
Good Linux listserv
-------------------
Portland Linux User's Group
http://plug.northwest.com

RedHat listserv
http://www.redhat.com/community/list_subscribe.html

List of lists
http://www.linux.org/help/lists.html

There is a women's Linux listserv called LinusChix (?)
If anyone finds the address, let me know...

--------------------------
Interesting links on Linux
--------------------------

http://www.freshmeat.org

http://www.slashdot.org

http://basiclinux.hypermart.net/

http://www.linux.org

http://www.linux.com

http://sunsite.auc.dk/linux-newbie/Linux_benefits.htm

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/

Melissa Kucbel-Saumier
Technical Publications - Eicon Technology

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=