Re: Is "WebTop" a real word?

Subject: Re: Is "WebTop" a real word?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:34:22 -0400

On 8/12/99 10:18 PM, Elna Tymes (etymes -at- lts -dot- com) wrote:

>Ummmm, you might want to go check the Sun site first. I think Sun has
>trademarked it, as part of one of their products. Perhaps not the way
you've
>spelled it, but definitely as the name of a product.

Well, I wasn't the one originally asking about webtop; I merely said that
it wasn't jargon I was familiar with and so perhaps the original poster
was starting it.

I checked out Sun's website and although they use "webtop" (without
defining it, irritatingly enough) I didn't find any evidence that they
have trademarked it. For example, a key paper on Java and the web at
http://wwwwseast.usec.sun.com/980602/wp/Realizing_Benefits.html says:

>The universal webtop Sun is delivering exploits the Java Computing for
>the Enterprise model by moving user tools and information from the
>desktop machine to network servers.

They use it generically all over the website: lowercase, and no
trademarking symbols. I'm no lawyer, but that sounds like they're
attempting to start or use jargon, not set up a trademark.

That does start to answer the original poster's question, however, about
whether "webtop" was a real word. At least some people in the industry
are using it, whatever the heck it means.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=