Re: Portfolio Samples -- Yours, Mine and Ours

Subject: Re: Portfolio Samples -- Yours, Mine and Ours
From: Adam Korman <akorman -at- EPICOR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:57:58 -0700

Sounds like Bubba is asking for a lot of trouble, and if I were one of the
"leveraged" writers, I'd be mighty pissed. There are two completely separate
issues here. The first is about sharing content within an organization, the
second is about plagiarism/theft.

My understanding and experience is that when writing for hire, everything is
fair game within the organization. Authorship is irrelevant, since the
company owns the work, not the authors. If Bubba wants to use someone else's
writing verbatim in another manual the company produces, that's perfectly
legit. The original writer should be congratulated for doing such good work,
and Bubba should be congratulated for saving time & resources.

But, when it comes to publishing a book for personal gain... It sounds like
Bubba is open to being sued by the company -- what he did was steal its
property. Even the original authors couldn't publish a book on CardX that
was just a compilation of unedited docs they wrote on behalf of the company.
I'm guessing Bubba is not only guilty of plagiarism, but theft too.

Best of luck to Bubba. If I were one of these "leveraged" writers, I'd pay a
visit to the company's lawyers.

Adam Korman
<akorman -at- epicor -dot- com>