Re: Interviews and Portfolios and References

Subject: Re: Interviews and Portfolios and References
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:34:44 -0700

>Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:17:43 -0700
>From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: Interviews and Portfolios and References
>To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>
>References? Barry giggles, come on, everybody has at least one friend who
>will vouch for a technical writers expertise.
>
>References don't mean diddley.
>
>I once had a co-worker tell me that she would be happy to be a reference
for
>me.
>
>She went on to say that for some of her other friends she has posed as
their
>immediate supervisor and raved about their talents and how they were team
>players and able to work totally alone without any supervision, ect...
>
>I'll take my chances on a portfolio over a voice on the phone.
>
>Barry, eternal skeptic.
>

> Cam wrote:
>> however most ask for references.
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==
When I left a contract assignment or company, I always asked for
a reference letter. I built up a collection of these letters and
included them in my portfolio. Of course, all the letters spoke
about me in glowing terms. (8-) I believe that my reference letters,
along with my writing samples, were an important factor in keeping
me continuously employed.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- sabu -dot- ebay -dot- sun -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=