Re: Jobs!!!

Subject: Re: Jobs!!!
From: "Kathy J. Nguyen" <knguyen -at- PICKSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:46:54 -0700

Hi All!

To the experience-seekers:

I am living proof that YOU CAN have no experience and get a techwriting
job! You just have to know where to research and be willing to do the time.

I applied for an internship with a large company and began working my last
quarter in college (English major). I secured the job by letting the
Documentation manager know that Tech writing was something I was serious
about, and I intended to stay an intern until I had learned what I needed
to know. I assured her, that I wasn't about to desert the company as soon
as I graduated. I think she liked that I was very bluntly honest because
the writing sample I turned in was far from technical. It was a paper on
Native American Lit.

I worked that internship for almost a year. While all of my friends were
finding jobs with benefits and more pay, I sacrificed the time and learned
as much as I could. I knew it would be worth it in the end, and 11/2 years
later, I can say it has been worth it. I like my job more and get paid more
than many of the computer science majors that graduated with me.

All I can say is check the large companies! Many of them have internship
programs and a couple of them (I've heard that Unisys is one of them) hire
people with no experience so that they can take a pre-junior and make
him/her into a senior.

I would go to all the large company websites and just start checking for
job openings.

I hope this helps!
--Kathy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=