Documenting the Old & the New

Subject: Documenting the Old & the New
From: Marsha Lofthouse <marsha_lofthouse -at- TARGETSMART -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:29:53 -0600

Title: Documenting the Old & the New

Situation: We are developing some custom software, comprised of existing software plus new functions, for a client who will sign-off on the new functions. My job is to provide them with the existing Training Manual plus, separately, documentation detailing how each new function works. Weird details: The client will be training their trainers on the existing software starting in October. The customized software (with their requested changes) won't be finished and delivered until February. However, I *will* have screen prototypes and I have the luxury of working with a great group of engineers.

Should I include the new stuff in the existing Training Manual with icons indicating what is new and what is changing? (Keep in mind, they will be trained on the existing version.) If so, I still need to provide one or more separate documents detailing the new stuff so they can sign off. I also must somehow document how the new stuff changes the old stuff.

The fact that I just found out that I have 1 month less than I thought I had has caused by tired brain to stop functioning. (Deadline = Sept. 15.) Therefore, I ask the collective wisdom of the list, how would you structure the new document(s)? How would you handle this situation?

FWIW, this involves 26 new screens. I've got to hit the ground running. Aargh! OK, I'll take a deep breath now and tell myself "I can do this...I can do this...I can do this...".

TIA,

Marsha
Marsha Lofthouse
Technical Writer
TargetSmart, Inc.
Denver, CO USA
mailto:marsha_lofthouse -at- targetsmart -dot- com
visit us on the Web at http://www.targetsmart.com
phone: 303.698.2233 ext. 234