Re: Alternatives to numbering, take II

Subject: Re: Alternatives to numbering, take II
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:43:50 -0400

I may be missing something. But why can't one just call each section
"Article 1" "Chapter 2" "Section A" where the words "Article" "Chapter"
and "Section" are part of the referenced hierachial numbering scheme.
This would avoid the need to use 1.2.3 & 1.1.1.2, etc. I have done this
several times in the past.

Peter

Geoff Hart wrote:

>snip>
> The way you work around this problem is by flattening the
> hierarchy wherever possible. For example, instead of having
> one main heading entitled "10. Printing", with two subheads
> ("10.1 locally" and "10.2 over the Internet") that each have
> several levels of subheadings, create two new main headings
> ("10. Printing locally" and "11. Printing over the Internet"). In
> fact, depending on how large the text is for these sections,
> you might even turn each one into its own chapter. By doing
> so, you've eliminated one whole level of heading (thereby
> making the context clearer), grouped the information into
> more digestible chunks, and mitigated to some extent the
> potential impact (fear of complexity) of four-digit or larger
> section numbers.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=