Re: Personality Types & TWriting

Subject: Re: Personality Types & TWriting
From: Deborah Crossman <DLCrossman -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:25:33 EDT

Regarding personality "type" or other related tests, you really need to take
the results with a grain of salt if you do not have a trained professional
help you interpret them. That is, unless you want to spend a lot of time
reading about what the interactions between the 4 types in "ENTP," for
example, can mean.

The tests have been over-simplified by pseudo-psychologists to sell their
self-help books. My dissertation employed the Myers-Briggs (not "Meyers")
and other neuropsychological tests, including so-called "left-brain/right
brain" tests (unless you're being tested by a neuropsychologist with a
well-researched battery of cognitive tests, I wouldn't pay any attention to
results from the latter).

Although a poor example, one of the reasons that an "E" (Extravert) vs. an
"I" (Introvert) in the 4-type Myers Briggs test might make no difference in
success as a TW is because the other 3 factors, depending upon their
combination (interaction), can compensate for the effects (or traits) that
go
with E/I. I just wouldn't base any career, or other, decisions on
self-administration of these tests.

However, one thing that can be helpful and interesting without a counselor's
input is the profiled results generated from the use of reputable interest
inventories (as mentioned previously) that are linked to careers by
comparison of interest profiles of many others who are in the profession and
enjoy it. Still, you would probably need a licensed professional to obtain
such a test.

With training in psychological inventory/survey design, I just had to say
something.

Deborah Crossman
Technical Writer
Boston, MA