Re: How about Web-based Tech Writer message board?

Subject: Re: How about Web-based Tech Writer message board?
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:18:36 -0700

At 09:30 AM 8/6/99 -0400, Jan wrote:
>Brad suggested establishing a free, moderated Web-based message
>forum.
>
>This could exclude some list members (though I don't know how
>many or what percentage of the membership): It's possible to
>have e-mail, but not Web access.

This question comes up periodically on the RoboLIST, and many of
the regular members of that list, including me, are soundly against
changing the format to a random-access news-like forum.

If that happened to techwr-l, I'd probably disappear. What works
for me is having the messages arrive in my mailbox, in my face,
throughout the day. When I need to rest my brain from whatever
work I'm thinking about, I can read list messages and reply to them,
without having to remember to go somewhere else and find my way
through the messages there.

In a news-like format, I would undoubtedly skip over threads I now
read, and I'm bound to miss out on tidbits that catch my attention
in random ways the way they do now.

I don't want to get long-winded, or belabor this, but I just think
it's a bad idea.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=